July 27, 2011

the eyes of a momonga

Momonga


Seeing the night skies through the eyes of a momonga


One of the absolute cutest animals in Japan in fact has got to be the momonga, or the Japanese dwarf flying squirrel. Whilst they do qualify as wild animals they are alos very, very cute. I first saw these flying furballs on a special wildlife show on Japanese television last year. They have enormous dark eyes with a white belly, which really stands out while they are gliding through the air, and a flat tail. Since they are nocturnal, it isn't so easy to come across one unless you're stalking about the forest at night. I thought that they were pretty rare until I saw one being sold at the local Conan (home depot) in the pet section. Well, I didn't actually see the flying momonga itself, only a cartoon-like drawing of one urging visitors not to wake him/her from a peaceful slumber. The momonga itself was hiding inside of a miniature cloth tent and impossible to get a look at but just knowing it was there tempted me to introduce a new family member into my household.



MIKI